Labiaplasty at Coyle Institute
A labiaplasty is a surgical procedure to reduce the size of the labia minora — the folds of skin surrounding the urethra and vagina. Excess skin can become twisted and pinched, causing discomfort during exercise, physical activities and intercourse, which can be reduced with a labiaplasty. Women who undergo labiaplasties at Coyle Institute are in the best possible hands since our physicians specialize in urogynecology and have an in-depth understanding of how to achieve the best outcomes with a labiaplasty.
How Labiaplasty Works
Depending on the goal of the labiaplasty, Dr. Coyle will remove tissue from the labia minora to reduce its size using one of two methods:
- The trim procedure, the more common of the two, involves removing extra tissue from the edge of the protruding labia. This is also the preferred method for removing dark edges of the labia and correcting asymmetry.
- The wedge procedure involves making a V-shaped incision to reduce labia size and retain the natural edges of the labia.
No matter what type of labiaplasty you choose, the procedure will be done under local or general anesthesia for your comfort.
Choosing Labiaplasty at Coyle Institute
There are several reasons for a woman to consider a labiaplasty at Coyle Institute. Many of the women we treat are looking to:
- Reduce the size of the labia minor so it does not protrude beyond the edges of the labia majora, which can cause uncomfortable pinching, tugging and discomfort
- Improve hygiene and health since excess tissue can make cleansing more difficult and can harbor bacteria that cause urinary tract infections
- Restore a more youthful look after childbirth or aging
- Reduce asymmetry (uneven shape) of the labia minora or labia majora when one side is longer than or shaped differently from the other
- Increase self-confidence and eliminate visual lines, bulges or “camel toe” appearance when wearing body-conforming pants or leggings. Tight-fitting clothing can also cause physical discomfort if there is excess labia tissue.
Whether you are interested in a labiaplasty for cosmetic reasons or to reduce health issues or irritation, rest assured that this simple surgical procedure offers effective treatment for these problems. As a leader in minimally invasive vaginal surgeries, Coyle Institute is an ideal choice for labiaplasty.
What to Expect After Labiaplasty
After the procedure, you will receive instructions on how to care for your wound, such as icing and keeping the area clean and dry while it heals. Your providers will also discuss pain control and give you information about activity restrictions and follow-up appointments. In the days following your labiaplasty, you will experience some swelling, discomfort and pain. However, these issues are easily manageable with over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen (Tylenol®) or limited prescription medication.
Am I a Good Candidate for Labiaplasty?
While keeping in mind that there is no standard shape for genitalia, if you are for any reason dissatisfied with having a more prominent labia minora, you are likely a good candidate for labiaplasty. Whether you have experienced labial changes postpartum or have always had large or irregular labia, a labiaplasty can have you feeling more comfortable and confident than ever. For a complete consultation and to have any other questions about labiaplasty answered, schedule an appointment with us by calling 850-637-8258.