10 DiVa® FAQs - MonaLisa Touch Versus DiVa® By Sciton
10 diVa® FAQs - MonaLisa Touch versus diVa® by Sciton
Are you considering vaginal rejuvenation?
A lot of women are thinking about that same choice every day. Many women over the age of 40 are seeking this simple, painless procedure as an alternative to surgery.
There are many factors to consider when choosing the best vaginal rejuvenation treatment for you, your lifestyle and your goals.
Why vaginal rejuvenation?
Vaginal laser therapy is about more than just feeling younger and more confident (although those are some of the awesome side effects), it’s a revelation for women suffering from a wide range of vaginal health issues.
Poor vaginal health leads to a variety of issues that impair quality of life.
diVa® Vaginal Rejuvenation
By Dr. Michael Coyle, D.O.
Hello, everybody. It's Doctor Coyle coming to you live from the Coyle Institute. And today I want to talk about lasers. Actually, I do want to talk a little bit about lasers, I want to talk about the diVa vaginal laser. And I know there's a lot of buzz stuff going about the vaginal rejuvenation and vaginal lasers and stuff. Well, let's break it down, okay?
First off, let me tell you why I decided to get into lasers in the first place or at least have this to offer for my patients. As a urogynecologist, all day, every day I'm dealing with women that suffer from things that are happening to the vagina or the pelvic region, specifically atrophic vaginitis or painful intercourse.
All we have ever had to help these women out is hormones. Well, unfortunately, a lot of women either can't take hormones or they have been on hormones for years and they just don't work. And so as a urogynecologist, I'm thinking to myself, "All right, well, I need to have something that I can offer these patients." Because, like I said, the hormones, unfortunately, a lot of times don't work.
So I started looking into lasers when they first came out. We've been using lasers to treat skin for over 20 years. And so, doing more research we found out that in 2014 we started offering lasers inside of the vagina. I looked at those lasers and I wasn't quite sold yet. And then 2 years ago the Sciton system came out with the diVa. Once I saw this I was like, "Yes, that makes sense."
So let's break this down and take away a lit bit of the scariness of lasers for a second. So this is the diVa hand piece. The diVa laser is actually two lasers firing at one time. Lasers are not to destroy or to blow things up, all right? What this is doing is creating very small wounds or penetration spots into the skin and then the skin then heals those areas. And so you heal new collagen, new blood vessels, new nerve endings, and specifically inside of the vagina you're also creating new epithelium. Epithelium is where you get all your moisture from. And so a lot of these ladies that are struggling with the inability to have intercourse, it's because of vaginal dryness. And so by using a laser like this, we're able to recreate that tissue, regenerate it and get it back to being a much more youthful healthy tissue.
How this works? Like I said, it fires two lasers at the same time. This actually is the hand piece, the probe that goes inside the vagina. One of the beauties of this versus some of the other lasers that are out there is it actually comes with a vaginal probe or vaginal dilator. So instead of the laser actually itself going inside the vagina, this goes over top, it's going to have a little noise here, and now this goes inside the vagina. So that way no part of the laser head actually touches vaginal skin, which is very, very beneficial.
Second is that the piece actually dilates the skin or flattens up the skin and gives us more surface area. The diVa also is the first automated laser. So what that means is it actually would rotate itself and back itself out. So during the procedure we basically place the laser inside, push the pedal and the laser will rotate 360 degrees and back itself out. Some of the other lasers you actually have to manually turn those. And so as you can tell, it may not be giving you the same efficiency or effectiveness inside the laser. And also by having the two lasers firing at once, one laser goes deeper into the tissue and the other laser goes more superficial. So we're actually treating both layers of the vagina that we need to treat.
The procedure is very simple, you come to the office, you can actually drive yourself here, drive yourself back home. We put in a numbing cream inside of the vagina that sits there for about 10 to 15 minutes. After that, the actual procedure itself only takes about 10 minutes. One of the beauties of having this done by a urogynecologist is the fact that we actually have things that we're trying to correct, like urinary incontinence or mild pelvic prolapse, mild anterior vaginal prolapse like a systocy or a mild rectocele. Obviously, we're also trying to improve painful intercourse and things like that. We've also been very successful in treating scar tissue inside of the vagina, for example, like from in the episiotomy.
So instead of just having, you know, one pass where the laser goes in and comes out, we do more of a focus pass where we're actually trying to focus on exactly why you're here in the first place, okay? So after about 10 minutes the procedure is done. You then are able to drive yourself back home. It is a series of three treatments done one month apart. Very well tolerated, no down time. So, if you're interested, give us a call.
Which vaginal rejuvenation procedure fits your life and needs?
While both MonaLisa Touch and diVa® by Sciton are both popular, you may be surprised to learn some distinct differences.
Here are some diVa® FAQs to ask yourself when choosing between MonaLisa Touch and diVa® by Sciton.
1. Do I want a customizable treatment?
- diVa® by Sciton: diVa® is 100% customizable based on the patient’s needs, goals and anatomy. diVa® provides three treatment angles controlled by the provider: 90°, 180° and 360°. diVa® is the only device available that includes High Precision Automation to ensure the safest and best treatment outcome for patients and predictability for the operator.
- MonaLisa Touch: MonaLisa Settings are not customizable. The provider manually rotates the handpiece.
2. Do I want a shorter treatment time?
- diVa® by Sciton: Three to five minutes per treatment to treat the whole vaginal canal.
- MonaLisa Touch: Three 5-minute procedures at 6-week intervals.
3. Do I have functional concerns from my poor vaginal health, such as incontinence?
- diVa® by Sciton: diVa® stimulates collagen production in deeper tissues to rebuild strong and resilient vaginal walls that help support the bladder and urinary tract, relieving urinary incontinence.
- MonaLisa Touch: Is only tested specifically for the treatment of vaginal atrophy.
4. Is my vaginal laxity leading to poor sexual health?
- diVa® by Sciton: diVa® is proven to tone and tighten the vaginal canal. While the collagen and elastin layers rebuild they create a more toned vagina and the new tissue structures "plump" the vaginal wall.
- MonaLisa Touch: The MonaLisa CO2 fractional laser can treat those cases of vaginal laxity where the "loose vagina" is due to a mucosal tone loss. The provider would have to further evaluate the cause of the looseness to exclude a prolapse or an involvement of the muscles.
5. Would minimal downtime be a key factor in my choice?
- diVa® by Sciton: Return to your daily routine, with no aftereffects, immediately and observe painless, comfortable vaginal rest for 48 hours.
- MonaLisa Touch: Mild burning for 48 hours; vaginal rest for two to three days.
6. Is returning to my sexual routine right away a key decision maker?
- diVa® by Sciton: 48 hours of vaginal rest.
- MonaLisa Touch: Patients should refrain from sexual activity for 2-3 days.
7. Is cost a consideration?
- diVa® by Sciton: Average of $1,200 per treatment; with package discounts available. Comparable price to other options with more comprehensive and lasting results. Isn’t your most intimate area worth it?
- MonaLisa Touch: Average of $1,200 per treatment; package discounts available from some providers.
8. Are you concerned about the time it will take for a full course of treatment?
- diVa® by Sciton: Three to five 3- to 5-minute treatments, spaced four to six weeks apart with 48 hours of painless recovery.
- MonaLisa Touch: Two to four 10-minute treatments. Each treatment is spaced 1-2 months apart with two to three days of recovery with vaginal burning.
9. Do you want to treat more than one issue with a single procedure?
- diVa® by Sciton: Treats vaginal atrophy, urinary incontinence, vaginal dryness with a customized 3-to-5-minute procedure.
- MonaLisa Touch: Treats only vaginal atrophy with a 10-minute procedure.
10. Do you want a fast and thorough treatment with the best technology available?
- diVa® by Sciton: Dual wavelengths, Erbium YAG and Diode with a maximum depth of 800 microns. Additionally, diVa® 's dual-wavelength hybrid technology and tunability allow operators to customize treatments based on a patient's age, symptoms and desired results.
- MonaLisa Touch: CO2 laser with a maximum depth of 200 microns.
Have more questions than the diVa® FAQs can answer?
Contact Coyle Institute today to learn more about diVa® and schedule your consultation.